The assessment process and timeline are given below:
Sep. 16 – Nov. 3: Inter-division review to remove unqualified teams, external referee, Intra-division review to choose teams for divisional presentations, Divisional presentations.
December. 13-14 : Final presentation at the presence of International Committee.
The National Final includes oral defense of the Research Report in English and will be reviewed by an international committee.
The S. T. Yau High School Science Award (Economic and Financial Modeling) strives to provide a fair and encouraging environment for all participants. Depending upon the level of competition, projects will be evaluated by regional, national or international panels. All panelists are asked to evaluate each project with professionalism and scholarship according to the following criteria.
- Relevance to economics sciences ( including finance ). The scope of study covers all fields of economics ( including finance ). The research topic has direct contribution or methodological contribution to the interpretation of economic problems.
- Originality in choice of subject for investigation and/or choice of techniques :
Subjects for investigation could be either original problems or existing conjectures. A participating team is responsible for adequate literature review on the background or originality of its problems. A problem known to the learned community in general, but unknown to the participating teams do not constitute originality.
- scientific and rigorous.
The method and conclusion must be correct, and the concepts, deduction and empirical test process involved in the subject must be scientific and rigorous.
- Scholarship and clarity of written report :
A report has to be well written, with an abstract in less than one page, review of the background problems and methodology, and citation of references. The report must also make clear distinction between background materials and original contributions.
- If applicable, scholarship and clarity of spoken presentation :
An oral presentation should demonstrate the background of the problem, key background materials, and above all, the teams’ original contributions.
- If applicable, demonstration of teamwork :
In oral presentation, it is expected that every participating student will speak on behalf of the team in an organized manner.
- Academic ethics and integrity