a) Each participating team should consist of 1-3 Chinese high school student(s) and 1-2 instructor(s).
b) The participating teams (including under external guidance) have achieved scientific research results.
Beijing/Hebei/Tianjin/Shanxi/Shandong/Inner Mongolia/ Sinkiang /Heilongjiang/Jilin/Liaoning/Henan/Shanxi/Ningxia/Gansu/Qinghai
Outside China Mainland.
3. Application Process
a) April 1 – June 30: online account registration, submission of team and individual information.
b) July 1 – September 15: online submission of research reports and other required materials. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Registration website: http://www.yau-awards.science/?page_id=15
4. Required Materials
a) Information of the participating team and individuals (to be completed online).
b) Research Report:
i. Format: PDF file.
ii. Each Report should include the following:
– Cover Page: name of student(s), province/state and country of the school with which the student(s) are affiliated, name of instructor(s), and title of the Report.
– After Cover Page: Title, Author(s), Abstract, Keywords, Table of Contents, and Body Text.
– Bibliography: starting on a separate page.
– Acknowledgment: describe the roles and contributions of each team member in completing the Research Report and, if applicable, any external assistance for the research.
– Declaration of Academic Integrity: please read carefully and sign.
iii. Requirements for the Research Report:
– Any form of plagiarism or other academic misconducts are strictly prohibited.
– References to existing research methods and conclusions must be indicated with clear citations and included in the bibliography. Each participating team should observe the common standard of academic integrity adopted by most journals or degree theses.
– The research content and research process must not violate Chinese laws and regulations, or general principles of public order and social customs.
– The research subject must not include food, tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or medical instruments that may entail physical or psychological harms to human beings or animals.
c) Plagiarism check report
A plagiarism check report of the final Research Paper must be submitted before the deadline of the Research Report submission. (Recommended plagiarism check platforms: HowNet, PaperPass)
d) Supplementary documents (optional): such as experiment videos or relevant text/graphic materials.
5. Special Notes
a) Registration and the submission of all materials must be completed through the online system. Submissions of hard copies alone will be deemed invalid.
b) The information of instructor(s) and participating student(s) cannot be changed after the deadline for the final Research Report submission.
c) It is possible for a student to participate in the competition of multiple disciplines, but one can only register in the competition of any discipline once.
d) If the participating team has submitted or published the same research report in other competitions, related information must be provided in the “research report submission” section during the account registration process.
e) If a final Research Report’s percentage of similarity exceeds 10%, the Organizing Committee will disqualify the participating team. In the extreme case of full-text plagiarism, all the participating teams from the same school will be disqualified from the competition. In addition, the school and its act of blatant plagiarism will be publicly reported.
f) Research Reports selected for the National Final will be published on the official website for public review within a period of seven days.
II. 2018 schedule
|Apr. 1-Jun.30, 2018||Initial registration online||Online registration page
(You may start to register even when the team is not yet completely formed) Please submit the complete information before we close the registration system on June .30, 2018.
|Jul.1- Sep.15, 2018||Online submission of research report||You can submit the research report and you can also update your reports during this period if you finish the registration. The deadline is 24:00 on Sep.15, 2018.|
|Sep.16-Nov.5, 2018||Review papers in areas||Four competition areas: South part, North part in China and oversea area. After three rounds review, generate teams for final competition and teams of regional winners. Ceremony of divisional awards.|
|Nov.6-Nov.13,2018||Publish the finalist papers online||Finalist papers will be published on the competition webs.|
|Dec. 13-14, 2018||Final competition& Award ceremony||Final English presentation at the presence of the International Committee at Tsinghua University.|
|Dec. 15, 2018||S. -T. Yau Science Forum||Top Academics in mathematics, physics, Chemistry, Biology, and computer science will make reports at Tsinghua University.|
III.Guidelines for Research Areas and Selection Criteria
- Relevance to physics sciences
- Originality in choice of subject for investigation and/or choice of techniques :
Subjects for investigation could be either original problems or existing conjectures. A participating team is responsible for adequate literature review on the background or originality of its problems. A problem known to the learned community in general, but unknown to the participating teams do not constitute originality.
- Creativity in problem solving and methodology :
Successful projects are expected to either develop new methodology or to synthesize existing techniques. A routine application of existing methodology may not be competitive.
- Rigor in physics development :
Development of methodology and solutions are expected to demonstrate rigorous concepts and derivations.
- Contribution and potential to future physics development :
A project carries high merits if the results will induce other or further advance in physics sciences or if the methodology has potential for application in wider or other applications.
- Scholarship and clarity of written report :
A report has to be well written, with an abstract in less than one page, review of the background problems and methodology, and citation of references. The report must also make clear distinction between background materials and original contributions.
- If applicable, scholarship and clarity of spoken presentation :
An oral presentation should demonstrate the background of the problem, key background materials, and above all, the teams’ original contributions.
- If applicable, demonstration of teamwork :
In oral presentation, it is expected that every participating student will speak on behalf of the team in an organized manner.
IV. Evaluation Mechanism
September 16 – October 31: Divisional Competition
November 1 – November 7: public review of Research Reports entering the National Final.
December 13-14: National Final and Award Ceremony (Location: Tsinghua University).
The National Final includes oral defense of the Research Report in English and will be reviewed by an international committee.
V. Intellectual Property
Original work and results are the intellectual belongings to the participants and this is respected by S. T. Yau High School Science Award. The S. T. Yau High School Science Award only reserves the first right of refusal on the works of award winners. Winners should approach the S. T. Yau High School Science Award before they publish their works or derive any benefit from it. In addition, works of winners may be used in part or in full for the promotion of S. T. Yau High School Science Award in future.
VI. Public Review
The S. -T. Yau High School Science Award is open to public review. Any organization or individual that objects to the qualifications of the teams entering the National Final may file a complaint, along with supporting evidence and contact information, to the Organizing Committee before the end of the seven-day period of public review. After receiving the complaint, the Organizing Committee will invite a team of experts to review the case. The Organizing Committee solemnly promises that information of the objecting organizations and/or individuals will remain confidential.
- The Organizing Committee of the S. -T. Yau High School Science Award reserves the right to interpret the above entry guidelines.
- This Award aims at stimulating the interest and creativity of Chinese high school students in conducting fundamental science research, discovering and cultivating young scientific talents, and enhancing the connection between secondary education and higher education. The results of the Award is not directly associated with the future enrollment in higher education of any participating individuals.